Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Interview with Amy's Painted House and More

At my first craft show back in the spring Amy and I shared a table. We chatted, watched over each others goods for bathroom breaks, and shared stories. My parents came to support me and ended up leaving with a painted item from Amy's side of our shared booth. It was a painted olive oil bottle that sits proudly beside their stove each day. Stay tuned for an awesome giveaway from Amy at the end of the interview.
Tell Us About Yourself: I am a self-taught artist. I have been painting for over 17 years. I began with stenciling walls. My favorite thing to paint are walls, by the way. I know I make my money painting glass, so you have to go where the money is. I began to teach myself how to paint by freehand when my children were in high school. I began by painting on items in my yard, and then progressed back inside to my walls. You could look around my yard and see the progression I was making. I continued to buy many painting books, primarily Donna Dewberry's One Stroke Painting books. I eventually became a One Stroke Certified Instructor. I continued painting on different items and once I started on the glass, the rest is history!
What Kind Of Items Do You Sell In Your Etsy Shop: I sell hand-painted glassware, wedding favors, and gifts for all occasions. I also sell hand-painted pendants, wooden rings, book markers, and other items in my second Etsy shop.
What Brought You To Etsy: A friends mentioned Etsy to me back in November of 2007. I went home and immediately set up a shop. Like most things I have set up, I did not pay much attention to it. I really did not understand how to make it profitable at the beginning. My first sale did not come until the beginning of 2008. That is when I started to optimize my shop. It has really been a learning experience. In the spring of 2008 I joined the Etsy Team Columbus group. That is the best thing I could have done for my business. The wealth of knowledge I have gained from others in the group is truly priceless.
How Do You Promote Your Shop: I use keywords throughout my shop and listings. I focus on reading and learning as much as I can on great ways to promote your shop. I pay attention to what others are doing that seem to work. I use Twitter and Facebook. I have a blog that I try to focus on as much as time will allow. I write articles, instructables, and post my articles in other places such as Squidoo, Go Articles, and Wordpress. I also set up my pictures in places such as Flickr, and www.byhand.me. I use Google Base to place my products from my Etsy shop and regular website: www.amyspaintedhouseandmore.com . I also place pictures in other places such as www.weloveetsy.com. I even use Craigslist. I also find time to comment on other people's blogs. I also make YouTube videos with my products.
What Is Your Favorite Item In Your Shop Right Now: I have to be honest, I do not have a favorite from my shop. I like all of it pretty equally. I am just excited when I actually get a chance to create something different. Large orders do not allow me the time to be as creative as I would like to be. I am often very excited to move on to different projects.
What Is Your Biggest Shop Goal In The Next Six Months: My goal for the next few months is to become more organized, and to have a balance between work and my personal life. I really do not have much of a personal life right now. I would love to incorporate more ways to make money in my business besides having to paint. I want to push selling unpainted glassware, sell designs, and instructions on how to paint and make wire rings.
Favorites: I love Donna Dewberry's painting books. My favorite music is rock. My favorite band is Daughtry! (as if everyone didn't already know that) :) I enjoy being in nature and peaceful settings, especially if it is beside water. I love animals, and even though I am allergic, I have two dogs and two cats! I really enjoy going to concerts, eating out, and spending time with family and friends. I truly feel lucky to finally be following my passion which is painting, and doing something I love each and every day!
If you want to own an item from Amy's Painted House and More leave a comment before Friday (the 28th) at noon Eastern time. Amy is graciously giving away a set of 20 ounce balloon Tuscan Theme wine glasses for one lucky winner! (one is pictured in the above picture) Enter now!

7 comments:

amys painted house and more said...

Thanks for doing this!! I appreciate it.... :)

Christina said...

That margarita glass is really fun!! Ole!

Unknown said...

Amy is a wonderful person and it is heartwarming to see her get the recognition she deserves. You picked a lovely gal to profile! I own two of her paintings (gifts from her) and four painted glasses. Planning to do some Xmas shopping with her this year for sure!

tscrapper said...

Love your shop!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful things! Love the shop! Thanks for this chance!

bgeng1@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

What beautiful glasses...I'd be honored to show them off to my friends.

Anonymous said...

What an honor it would be to own these great glasses. I can see Christmas shopping in Amy's shop!

smithfamily@yahoo.com